HI! My name is Amber, I am your newborn photographer!
I do not like having my picture taken! I often get asked what newborn photography tips I can share. How do I set up my studio? Do I have all the items needed to dress up and photograph your baby?
The first thing I need to say, is this isn’t how I will look when you come to your session! My hair will be pulled away from my face so not to tickle the baby! I usually am dressed in yoga pants with a neutral colored top. I’ve been peed on, pooped on, and spit up on (sometimes all in one session) and have learned from experience to wear clothes that don’t cost too much to replace! The neutral colors I wear help avoid color cast onto a newborn’s skin.
You may have just had a newborn, and you are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, sore and head-over-hills in love with your new bundle!
Maybe you are in the last month of your pregnancy, and you are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, sore and excited to meet this new life that has been growing inside of you for the last 8 or 9 months!
Or MAYBE you just found out that your are expecting! You are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, nauseous, and possibly a little apprehensive about the upcoming months!
Why must all of this equal exhaustion?
My job is to make one tiny little aspect of you new baby easier. My passion is to document this short time period where your baby is a newborn. That age when they still fit in the crook of your arm and love to sleep on your chest!
So when you pull up into the driveway at Two Color Photography (i.e. my home)
there might be some uncertainty as to what you will see and what will happen during your session! I’ve put together a little list of some of the things you will notice when you come in for your session!
1. You will feel very, very warm! If the adults aren’t sweating, than the room isn’t warm enough!
Your newborn baby doesn’t have the same circulation as a grown adult. It is harder for them to regulate their own temperature. They have just come from a VERY warm environment, and I want them to feel as comfortable as they did in your tummy! It is very common that dad falls asleep before baby does (and I can get a baby to fall asleep pretty quickly!)
2. You will here a strange swooshing sound (I had a dad compare it to the sound a breast pump makes, I’ll let you decide on that one)!
In reality, what you are hearing are “Mother’s Womb” sounds through a speaker normally hiding somewhere behind the curtains! We’ve been known to turn on Dora the Explorer or Jake and the Neverland Pirates soundtracks to help cheer up little toddlers!
3. I hope that you will walk into the studio and feel at home. From the comfy chairs (for dad to nap on) to the mini fridge filled with water bottles, diet cokes, and occasionally a package of cookies (we must have a little sugar to keep our energy up)! I want you to feel at home, so that you can sit and relax while I play with your new bundle! Truly, it makes my heart happy to turn and see parents asleep on the chairs! It means they are comfortable with me and trust me with their most precious possession in the world!
4. You’ll notice a large blanket covered teepee???
oh look and another heater! This is where I always start posing your baby! It has layers upon layer of soft, fluffy fabrics so that I can quickly change them out to give a different look to one session! Guess what is under all those fluffy layers of heaven?
Yay, another heater!! I keep a heating pad underneath all these layers… once again, it is my goal to keep your baby warm and snuggly…. and warm!!
5. You’ll also notice a fun little spot with multiple backdrops. I will have a nice one set up before you even arrive. The key to newborn sessions is (besides heat) fluid transition between one set-up to another. Once baby is asleep, we must work as smoothly and quickly as we can!
If you’ve got a specific style in mind, let me know before and I’ll try to create a set up that will match your ideas! That paneling behind the backdrop allows me to pin banners and fabrics without pinning into my wall (which my husband frowns upon). Don’t worry, it will not show up in the photo!
6. You will see piles and piles and piles of fabrics and wraps and basket stuffers and baskets and…….
It’s an addiction I have, but I want each client to feel like they got something a little different than the last client.
7. You’ll notice 2 cute little wheeled carts with drawer full of hats, bows, crowns, diaper covers, up-cycled sets etc. One cart for my little boys and one cart for my little girls!
8. You’ll notice hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE! You’ll notice me using it….OFTEN!
If I feel even the slightest bit sick I will call and reschedule the session. I have had my whooping cough shot and keep up to date on my flu shots. I would feel terrible if I were the reason your newborn got sick! Since my studio is in my home, there are times that my kids are home when I photograph your baby. They are under strict instructions to be invisible during the session!
9. I keep all the conveniences that you would need for a new baby on hand for you to use!
Diapers, wipes, binky wipes, baby lotion, blankets, burp clothes… you name it I have or will get it for you!
The studio has a beautiful full service bathroom (which we have yet to need the shower during a newborn session, but you never know 😉
Photo Credit: My cute little daughter …. from the shower!!
10. The last thing you will notice is that right away I will take that adorable little baby and snuggle him or her in my arms and sway a little and bounce a little and maybe even dance a little! I am quite good at soothing and even putting to sleep your little angel! I’ve even been called the baby whisperer! If I can’t get the baby to soothe and sleep, then we will resort to things such as binky or even a feeding to help them soothe. I want you to be able to sit back and relax during the session, babies can feel the mood in the room, and their mood will reflect that. Relaxation is the key for everyone, especially mom!
There are a few poses that I will ask for a quick hand, other than that, I will take the reigns and lead the session while you watch (and giggle when I get pooped on), and maybe get in the best sleep you’ve had since your baby arrived, and enjoy your session!